news
AJBP NL: Disqualification of Ven. Gnanasara thera explained

By Shamindra Ferdinando
Ven. Galagodaatte Gnanasara thera couldn’t have received the National List slot secured by Ape Jana Bala Pakshaya (AJBP) at the Aug.5 general election though he was on its Kurunegala District List, Election Commission (EC) Chairman Nimal Punchihewa told The Island yesterday (23).
Attorney-at-law Punchihewa said that Ven Gnanasara thera wasn’t eligible to receive NL appointment under any circumstances. Such an appointment would have been contrary to both the Constitution and the Parliamentary Election Act No 01 of 1981, the EC Chairman said.
Punchihewa said so in the wake of the EC’s acceptance of Ven. Athureliya Rathana as the AJBP NL member.
Ven. Rathana thera failed in his bid to enter Parliament from the Gampaha district.
The five-member EC consists of N.Punchihewa, S.B. Divaratne, M.M. Mohamed, K.P.P. Pathirana and Jeewan Thyagarajah. In terms of the 20th Amendment to the Constitution enacted in October, the EC now comprises five persons instead of three under the 19th Amendment.
A public battle between former lawmaker Ven. Rathana and Ven. Gnanasara for the NL slot divided the party, with a section quitting the movement.
EC Chairman Punchihewa explained that only those who had been included in the original NL submitted by a particular political party to the EC or a contestant could be considered for NL.
In Ven. Gnanasara thera’s case, the General Secretary of the Bodu Bala Sena (BBS) hadn’t actually contested the last general election as the AJBP list that contained him was rejected by the Chief Returning Officer, Punchihewa said. The Court of Appeal rejected Ven. Gnanasara thera’s writ application filed in respect of the Chief Returning Officer’s decision.
In addition to the Kurunegala list, AJBP nomination lists for Colombo, Moneragala and Kalutara were rejected on technical grounds. Altogether, AJBP fielded about 30 monks.
Responding to another query, the EC Chairman explained in terms of the applicable laws Ven. Gnanasara hadn’t contested the last general election and therefore he was not eligible to receive the NL appointment. Contrary to criticism, the appointment of defeated candidates is within the law, according to EC Chairman.
Asked whether the law prohibited designation of anyone outside the district list and NL of a particular political party, Punchihewa said in case the person who received the original appointment, the party could accommodate outsiders.
The EC could accept Ven. Rathana’s appointment as the warring AJBP factions had settled their differences with a court case filed in respect of the NL vacancy withdrawn. The AJBP managed to secure 67,758 votes from countrywide.
Punchihewa said that soon after the allocation of NL slots, the then AJBP Secretary Vedinigama Wimalasara thera nominated himself as their member of Parliament. Wimalasara thera, in a letter dated Aug 7 addressed to the EC, asserted that he appointed himself pending resolution of the crisis caused by both Gnanasara and Rathana theras demanding the NL slot.
Punchihewa said that there had been other developments relating to the AJBP’s NL issue, however they finally agreed on Ven. Rathana thera’s appointment.
Asked whether the EC felt that there should be a stipulated period to finalize NL designations, lawyer Punchihewa explained in the absence of specific provision in respect of such appointments, political parties could hold up the process. “In other words, political parties can refrain from making NL appointments. EC cannot intervene at all,” the EC Chairman said, acknowledging the need for remedial measures.
Punchihewa assured that the EC was in the process of examining the entire gamut of issues in relation to electoral process. “We will certainly take up these issues with relevant authorities,” lawyer Punchihewa said.
The EC Chief said that representations would also be also made to those in the process of formulating a new Constitution.
Punchihewa pointed out that the EC couldn’t do anything about the UNP holding up the appointment of its solitary NL member. The lawyer said that the issue hadn’t received sufficient attention, hence the current law being silent on a crisis situation such as a party not being able to decide on its NL nominee. Punchihewa pointed out that law could be amended to pave the way for the EC to name the first person on NL submitted by a particular party in case agreement couldn’t be reached within a given period.
The Parliament remained one short of stipulated 225 at the time 2020 sessions ended with the passage of 2021 Budget on Dec 10.
The Parliament is scheduled to meet on January 5.
- News Advertiesment
See Kapruka’s top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka’s unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.
news
Test post
sdfsdf sdf sf sf sdf sf sdf
news
AG not bound by its recommendations, yet to receive report

PCoI on Easter Sunday attacks:
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Attorney General Dappula de Livera, PC is not bound by recommendations made by the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (P CoI) into the 2019 Easter Sunday carnage, or presidential directives in that regard, according to authoritative sources.
They said that the AG couldn’t under any circumstances initiate legal proceedings until he had received the full PCoI report.
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa received the PCoI report on Feb 1. The President’s Office delivered a set of PCoI reports to Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena on Feb 23, a day after the report was presented to the cabinet of ministers. The Island raised the matter with relevant authorities in the wake of a section of the media reporting the PCoI recommending punitive measures against former President Maithripala Sirisena, Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando, IGP Pujitha Jayasundera, Chief of State Intelligence Senior DIG Nilantha Jayawardena, Chief of National Intelligence retired DIG Sisira Mendis and All Ceylon Makkal Congress (ACMC) leader and Samagi Jana Balavegaya MP Rishad Bathiudeen et al over the Easter Sunday carnage.
Sources pointed out that due to the inordinate delay in sharing the PCoI report with the AG, the department hadn’t been able to take preliminary measures required to initiate the proceedings. Sources said that a team of officers would take at least six weeks or more to examine the report before tangible measures could be taken.
With the AG scheduled to retire on May 24, 2021, even if the AG Department received the P CoI it would be quite a tough task to initiate proceedings ahead of retirement, sources said. However, in terms of the 20th Amendment to the Constitution enacted in last October, both the AG and the IGP could receive extensions beyond 60 at the President’s discretion.
Dappula de Livera received an Acting appointment as the AG a week after the Easter Sunday carnage whereas his predecessor Jayantha Jayasuriya, PC, was elevated to Chief Justice.
Responding to another query, sources said that the Attorney General two weeks ago requested Secretary to the President for a copy of the P CoI. However, the AG was yet to receive one, sources said. In spite of the AG not receiving a P CoI copy, the AG had instructed the IGP to obtain a copy of the report when he requested the police to complete investigations into the Easter Sunday carnage. The AG issued specific instructions after having examined police files pertaining to the investigations.
The IGP, too, hadn’t received a copy so far though some sections of the report were in the public domain.
Agriculture Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage displayed at a live political programme on Derana a copy of the P CoI report he received at the cabinet meeting earlier in the day.
Sources said that the Attorney General’s Department couldn’t decide on a course of action in respect of the Easter carnage on the basis of a section of the report. In terms of the Commission of Inquiry Act (Section 24), the AG enjoyed significant powers/authority in respect of investigations; sources said adding that the Department urgently required both the P CoI report and police investigations report. The Attorney General’s Department has raised the delay in receiving a P CoI report amidst the Catholic Church attacking the government over the same issue.
Sources said that ministerial committee appointed to study the P CoI report couldn’t decide on how to proceed with the recommendations and the matter was entirely in the hands of the AG. Sources pointed out that the delay on the part of the government to release the report had received the attention of sections of the international media, including the New York Times. Public Security Minister retired Rear Admiral Sarath Weerasekera having met Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith at the Bishop’s House on Dec 8, 2020 said that the AG would get a copy of the P CoI report once the President received it. Minister Weerasekera said that the CID had handed over the relevant files after having completed investigations into eight blasts. Referring to the Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) report on the Easter Sunday carnage, the former Navy Chief of Staff said that all such documents would have to be brought to one place and considered before initiating legal proceedings. Acknowledging that there could be delays, lawmaker Weerasekera said that on the instructions of the Attorney General a 12-member team of lawyers was working on the case. The minister vowed to expose the mastermind behind the Easter Sunday attacks. Investigations continued while some of those wanted were overseas, the minister said.
The minister acknowledged that the Attorney General couldn’t proceed without the P CoI report. Minister Weerasekera reiterated that once the President received the P CoI report, it would be sent to the Attorney General. The minister said that there were documents two to three feet high that needed scrutiny. The minister assured comprehensive investigation. The minister said that investigations pertaining to eight blasts had been completed and the reports handed over to the AG. However, the Attorney General had found shortcomings in those investigations.
news
JVP picks holes in PCoI report

By Saman Indrajith
The Presidential Commission of Inquiry on the Easter Sunday bombings had failed to identify the mastermind of , the JVP said yesterday.
Addressing the media at the party headquarters in Pelawatte, JVP Propaganda Secretary MP Vijitha Herath said that the PCoI report had levelled accusations against former President Maithripala Sirisena, former IGP and head of intelligence for their dereliction of duty, shirking of responsibilities and not taking action to prevent the attacks and negligence. There were reference to the causes of the terror attacks and actions to be taken to avoid such attacks and the influence of extremist organisations. “However, there is no mention of the mastermind of the attacks, the handlers of the attackers and those whose interests the carnage served. It is also not mentioned whether there has been any foreign or local organisation behind those attacks. As per the PCoI report the attack took place as a result of culmination of extremism.
“According to the PCoI the extremist activities were a result of the prevailing political situation then. The entire nation was waiting to see who was responsible and who masterminded those attacks. The PCoI has failed to identify the true culprits responsible for the terror attacks. The report says that the leader of the suicide cadres killed himself in the attacks and it was a puzzle. That means those who are actually responsible for the attacks are still at large. The report does not provide exact details of the sources of the attacks. The PCoI had sittings for one year and five months. It summoned various persons and got their statements but it has failed to shed any light on the terror attacks. Everybody knows that the top leaders of the government and heads of security and intelligence establishments failed in their duties. Ranil Wickremesinghe was the second in command and he too is bound by the responsibility but the PCoI report fails to identify him as one of the persons against whom legal action should be instituted. The PCoI has treated Wickremesinghe and former President Maithripala Sirisena differently. We are not telling that this report is a total failure but we cannot accept this as a complete report. The PCoI handed over its report to the President on Feb 1. After 23 days it was sent to Parliament. Now, a copy of the report is there in the parliamentary library for the perusal of MPs.”
Herath said that the PCoI did not have powers to take punitive action. “It only has powers to name those responsible and recommend action to be taken against those named.