Connect with us


Escapades of officer cadets of KDA Intake 3



by Nilakshan Perera

On August 3, 1982, fourteen of us came from various parts of the Island to the Kotelawala Defence Academy (KDA) along Airport Road, Ratmalana, to start our careers as Service Cadet Officers. We had been informed by Telegram to report to the KDA by 1500 hrs and all of us were there well on time, accompanied by our parents and some well-wishers. We were filled with mixed emotions of excitement tempered with a twinge of anxiety as well, to what was in store for us from then on. We had opted for a career in the Armed Forces and now we had got the opportunity to prove ourselves.

We were the lucky 14 out of 1,067 applicants to join the KDA as Officer Cadets of the Third Intake. We had to face four separate interviews: first at Army Headquarters, then the Officer Quality Test (OQT) at the Armoured Corps’ Rock House Camp at Mutwal and a medical examination at the Military Hospital. The final interview was at the Ministry of Defence with the three Service Commanders and Secretary of Defence, Gen Sepala Attygalle as Chairman of the Board. All candidates need to score the aggregate of marks required to gain entry to University as well as to have excelled in extracurricular activities at the school level.

The selected 14 were Thiru Amaran from Trinity, Saliya Weerakkody from St Joseph’s, Bandarawela, Damian Fernando from St Sebastian’s, Moratuwa, Upul Wijesinghe from Thurstan, Shantha Liyanage from Prince of Wales, Dimuthu Gunawardena from S.Thomas’, Palitha Sirimal from Dharmasoka, Ruwan Upul Perera from Maris Stella, Lal Padmakumara from St Mary’s, Kegalle and six Anandians, Dhammika Pananwela, Preethi Vidanapathirana, Manoj Jayasuriya, Shantha Edirisinghe and Nilakshan Perera. Among them, there were four head prefects, two Cadet Corps Sergeant Majors, three Cadet Sergeants, one Sri Lanka Schools basketball player, one Schools triple jump record holder, and two national swimmers.

Group photograph taken in front of Sir John’s bungalow, 1984

We were all over the moon when we received confirmation of our selection by registered post. As instructed we had packed our suitcases with our clothing and toiletries, etc. according to the list that was provided and reported to the KDA as instructed. As young 19-year-old schoolboys, all wearing their college blazers and college ties, I am sure we would have made a fine picture on that memorable first day at KDA.

Soon we were asked to say our goodbyes to our parents and well wishers and no sooner they left, all of us were taken to the Quarter Masters Stores and provided with various service issues such as boots, mess tins, water bottles, tennis shoes, white T’shirts, KDA Colors track kits, black overalls, belts, berets, white towels, bed sheets, pillowcases, and other necessities.

All these were packed into a big sack-like bag popularly known as “Ali Kakula” among service personnel as it resembled the leg on an elephant. We were all delighted to receive this, without realizing what will happen next. There was one Warrant officer and two PT Instructors who asked us to carry this Ali Kakula and took us for an extended “Camp tour” lugging all that weight. This was our first taste of what we were in for as officer cadets. This was no ordinary camp tour. There we were, all smartly dressed in our crisp shirts and trousers, well-polished shoes, and our school blazers and ties, now carrying our newly acquired possessions inside the Ali Kakula, trotting on the double from one place to another. Starting from the main gate in front of Ratmalana Airport, and then to the side gate that leads to Kandawala Road, Sir John’s Lake (Next to Bata), four corners of Kandawala Estate, Summer hut, aquarium, farm, paddy fields and at last ending up adjoining Ratmalana Airport hangars.

After dinner all of us were waiting to see our seniors. There were 34 super seniors of Intake 1 consisting of Engineering Cadets from Moratuwa University and Physical Science undergraduates from the University of Colombo. Our immediate seniors of Intake 2 consisted of 27 cadets – Engineering, Physical Science, and Arts undergraduates. Just as we were about to go to bed around 10.30 pm Intake 2 seniors came and greeted us very well in accordance with military standards.

Next day we were addressed by Capt Raj Fernando, a tall Cadet Corp Officer who was one of the most respected English teachers and fatherly figure to all of us. He introduced himself as our Troop Commander. Maj LCR Goonawardena of the Artillery, a great officer, was our Squadron Commander. He was a former Chief of Staff of the Army and retired as Maj General in 2002. Then there was Sgt Fernando WEA from Artillery as our Intake Sgt, a soldier to the bone and a sergeant with a high professional outlook who always wanted nothing less than the best from us.

Hon Minister of National security Mr Lalith Athulathmudali, the Chief Guest of the Passing Out Parade in Sept 1986

Our daily routine was to wake up at 4.30 a.m. and get ready for PT at 5.30 a.m. after tidying our billet including toilets, corridors, windows, ceiling fans, etc for inspection. After PT at 7.00 a.m. was breakfast and by 8.30 squad drill training at the Airport hangar and then back at Sir John’s bungalow for Military Studies. The lunch break was from 12.45 to 1.30 pm and then again military studies till 3.30. After the 15-minute tea break, we were off for recreational practices at Railway Grounds near Galle Road, Ratmalana or Kandawela Vidyalaya which was next to KDA. For a few months we had military lectures like map reading, service writing, leadership studies, current affairs, fieldcraft and basic tactics.

Then in September lectures began at the Colombo University. The cadets got transport to the Colombo campus and back by Army TATA 1210 truck. We alighted at Brodie House, Bullers Road, near the Army Commander’s official residence by 7.45 am ready for 8.00 am lectures, and were picked up by 6.15 pm at the same location. For lunch, we had to walk up to Volunteer Service Corps Camp which was at the old Race Course. All of us needed to participate in sports at the Colombo University as our seniors were dominating most of the sports like football, rugger, basketball, cricket, hockey athletics, badminton. rowing, and swimming.

In Dec 1982, before our first 10-day vacation for Christmas we had our Parent’s Day where parents and family members were invited to see their sons’ abilities after being moulded into the military culture. We also had several Mess Nights and, according to the seating plan, had to sit with senior officers of all three forces and, of course, our seniors of Intake 1 & 2. Though there was all kinds of delicious food, we couldn’t enjoy the repast as much as we would have liked to because of the array of unfamiliar cutlery laid out on the tables. The senior officers were keenly watching our table manners and we had to find other ways of satisfying our hunger.

Fortunately, there were plenty of coconut trees on Gen Sir John’s Kandawala Estate. Most nights, especially around midnight, a few of us started a covert operation. During the day we did a recce to earmark trees with a good crop of kurumba, especially those palms located far from the Seniors’ Study Halls. We had a remarkable guy who could climb a coconut tree of any height in absolute darkness. Two of us held a ground sheet with a rolled up white bedsheet made into a ring at its center. Our friend on the tree would drop each kurumba bang on target onto the groundsheet even from a height of 40 to 60 feet. All this was done in complete darkness with no light whatsoever. (We had no access to night vision equipment at that time.). All he could see was the faint outline of the white circle of the bed-sheet and fortunately for us, he never missed his target as otherwise two of us would have been the first-ever cadets to die under tragic circumstances at KDA. We should go down in history as thus having practiced aerial bombing in Sri Lanka warfare! Our tree-climber friend eventually became a specialist in the area of aerial bombing!

(to be continued next week)


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Islamophobia and the threat to democratic development



There’s an ill more dangerous and pervasive than the Coronavirus that’s currently sweeping Sri Lanka. That is the fear to express one’s convictions. Across the public sector of the country in particular many persons holding high office are stringently regulating and controlling the voices of their consciences and this bodes ill for all and the country.

The corrupting impact of fear was discussed in this column a couple of weeks ago when dealing with the military coup in Myanmar. It stands to the enduring credit of ousted Myanmarese Head of Government Aung San Suu Kyi that she, perhaps for the first time in the history of modern political thought, singled out fear, and not power, as the principal cause of corruption within the individual; powerful or otherwise.

To be sure, power corrupts but the corrupting impact of fear is graver and more devastating. For instance, the fear in a person holding ministerial office or in a senior public sector official, that he would lose position and power as a result of speaking out his convictions and sincere beliefs on matters of the first importance, would lead to a country’s ills going unaddressed and uncorrected.

Besides, the individual concerned would be devaluing himself in the eyes of all irrevocably and revealing himself to be a person who would be willing to compromise his moral integrity for petty worldly gain or a ‘mess of pottage’. This happens all the while in Lankan public life. Some of those who have wielded and are wielding immense power in Sri Lanka leave very much to be desired from these standards.

It could be said that fear has prevented Sri Lanka from growing in every vital respect over the decades and has earned for itself the notoriety of being a directionless country.

All these ills and more are contained in the current controversy in Sri Lanka over the disposal of the bodies of Covid victims, for example. The Sri Lankan polity has no choice but to abide by scientific advice on this question. Since authorities of the standing of even the WHO have declared that the burial of the bodies of those dying of Covid could not prove to be injurious to the wider public, the Sri Lankan health authorities could go ahead and sanction the burying of the bodies concerned. What’s preventing the local authorities from taking this course since they claim to be on the side of science? Who or what are they fearing? This is the issue that’s crying out to be probed and answered.

Considering the need for absolute truthfulness and honesty on the part of all relevant persons and quarters in matters such as these, the latter have no choice but to resign from their positions if they are prevented from following the dictates of their consciences. If they are firmly convinced that burials could bring no harm, they are obliged to take up the position that burials should be allowed.

If any ‘higher authority’ is preventing them from allowing burials, our ministers and officials are conscience-bound to renounce their positions in protest, rather than behave compromisingly and engage in ‘double think’ and ‘double talk’. By adopting the latter course they are helping none but keeping the country in a state of chronic uncertainty, which is a handy recipe for social instabiliy and division.

In the Sri Lankan context, the failure on the part of the quarters that matter to follow scientific advice on the burials question could result in the aggravation of Islamophobia, or hatred of the practitioners of Islam, in the country. Sri Lanka could do without this latter phobia and hatred on account of its implications for national stability and development. The 30 year war against separatist forces was all about the prevention by military means of ‘nation-breaking’. The disastrous results for Sri Lanka from this war are continuing to weigh it down and are part of the international offensive against Sri Lanka in the UNHCR.

However, Islamophobia is an almost world wide phenomenon. It was greatly strengthened during Donald Trump’s presidential tenure in the US. While in office Trump resorted to the divisive ruling strategy of quite a few populist authoritarian rulers of the South. Essentially, the manoeuvre is to divide and rule by pandering to the racial prejudices of majority communities.

It has happened continually in Sri Lanka. In the initial post-independence years and for several decades after, it was a case of some populist politicians of the South whipping-up anti-Tamil sentiments. Some Tamil politicians did likewise in respect of the majority community. No doubt, both such quarters have done Sri Lanka immeasurable harm. By failing to follow scientific advice on the burial question and by not doing what is right, Sri Lanka’s current authorities are opening themselves to the charge that they are pandering to religious extremists among the majority community.

The murderous, destructive course of action adopted by some extremist sections among Muslim communities world wide, including of course Sri Lanka, has not earned the condemnation it deserves from moderate Muslims who make-up the preponderant majority in the Muslim community. It is up to moderate opinion in the latter collectivity to come out more strongly and persuasively against religious extremists in their midst. It will prove to have a cementing and unifying impact among communities.

It is not sufficiently appreciated by governments in the global South in particular that by voicing for religious and racial unity and by working consistently towards it, they would be strengthening democratic development, which is an essential condition for a country’s growth in all senses.

A ‘divided house’ is doomed to fall; this is the lesson of history. ‘National security’ cannot be had without human security and peaceful living among communities is central to the latter. There cannot be any ‘double talk’ or ‘politically correct’ opinions on this question. Truth and falsehood are the only valid categories of thought and speech.

Those in authority everywhere claiming to be democratic need to adopt a scientific outlook on this issue as well. Studies conducted on plural societies in South Asia, for example, reveal that the promotion of friendly, cordial ties among communities invariably brings about healing among estranged groups and produces social peace. This is the truth that is waiting to be acted upon.

Continue Reading


Pakistan’s love of Sri Lanka



By Sanjeewa Jayaweera

It was on 3rd January 1972 that our family arrived in Karachi from Moscow. Our departure from Moscow had been delayed for a few weeks due to the military confrontation between Pakistan and India. It ended on 16th December 1971. After that, international flights were not permitted for some time.

The contrast between Moscow and Karachi was unbelievable. First and foremost, Moscow’s temperature was near minus 40 degrees centigrade, while in Karachi, it was sunny and a warm 28 degrees centigrade. However, what struck us most was the extreme warmth with which the airport authorities greeted our family. As my father was a diplomat, we were quickly ushered to the airport’s VIP Lounge. We were in transit on our way to Rawalpindi, the airport serving the capital of Islamabad.

We quickly realized that the word “we are from Sri Lanka” opened all doors just as saying “open sesame” gained entry to Aladdin’s cave! The broad smile, extreme courtesy, and genuine warmth we received from the Pakistani people were unbelievable.

This was all to do with Mrs Sirima Bandaranaike’s decision to allow Pakistani aircraft to land in Colombo to refuel on the way to Dhaka in East Pakistan during the military confrontation between Pakistan and India. It was a brave decision by Mrs Bandaranaike (Mrs B), and the successive governments and Sri Lanka people are still enjoying the fruits of it. Pakistan has been a steadfast and loyal supporter of our country. They have come to our assistance time and again in times of great need when many have turned their back on us. They have indeed been an “all-weather” friend of our country.

Getting back to 1972, I was an early beneficiary of Pakistani people’s love for Sri Lankans. I failed the entrance exam to gain entry to the only English medium school in Islamabad! However, when I met the Principal, along with my father, he said, “Sanjeewa, although you failed the entrance exam, I will this time make an exception as Sri Lankans are our dear friends.” After that, the joke around the family dinner table was that I owed my education in Pakistan to Mrs B!

At school, my brother and I were extended a warm welcome and always greeted “our good friends from Sri Lanka.” I felt when playing cricket for our college; our runs were cheered more loudly than of others.

One particular incident that I remember well was when the Embassy received a telex from the Foreign inistry. It requested that our High Commissioner seek an immediate meeting with the Prime Minister of Pakistan, Mr Zulifikar Ali Bhutto (ZB), and convey a message from Mrs B. The message requested that an urgent shipment of rice be dispatched to Sri Lanka as there would be an imminent rice shortage. As the Ambassador was not in the station, the responsibility devolved on my father.

It usually takes about a week or more to get an audience with the Prime Minister (PM) of a foreign country due to their busy schedule. However, given the urgency, my father spoke to the Foreign Ministry’s Permanent Sectary, who fortunately was our neighbour and sought an urgent appointment. My father received a call from the PM’s secretary around 10 P.M asking him to come over to the PM’s residence. My father met ZB around midnight. ZB was about to retire to bed and, as such, was in his pyjamas and gown enjoying a cigar! He had greeted my father and had asked, “Mr Jayaweera, what can we do for great friend Madam Bandaranaike?. My father conveyed the message from Colombo and quietly mentioned that there would be riots in the country if there is no rice!

ZB had immediately got the Food Commissioner of Pakistan on the line and said, “I want a shipload of rice to be in Colombo within the next 72 hours!” The Food Commissioner reverted within a few minutes, saying that nothing was available and the last export shipment had left the port only a few hours ago to another country. ZB had instructed to turn the ship around and send it to Colombo. This despite protests from the Food Commissioner about terms and conditions of the Letter of Credit prohibiting non-delivery. Sri Lanka got its delivery of rice!

The next was the visit of Mrs B to Pakistan. On arrival in Rawalpindi airport, she was given a hero’s welcome, which Pakistan had previously only offered to President Gaddafi of Libya, who financially backed Pakistan with his oil money. That day, I missed school and accompanied my parents to the airport. On our way, we witnessed thousands of people had gathered by the roadside to welcome Mrs B.

When we walked to the airport’s tarmac, thousands of people were standing in temporary stands waving Sri Lanka and Pakistan flags and chanting “Sri Lanka Pakistan Zindabad.” The noise emanating from the crowd was as loud and passionate as the cheering that the Pakistani cricket team received during a test match. It was electric!

I believe she was only the second head of state given the privilege of addressing both assemblies of Parliament. The other being Gaddafi. There was genuine affection from Mrs B amongst the people of Pakistan.

I always remember the indefatigable efforts of Mr Abdul Haffez Kardar, a cabinet minister and the President of the Pakistan Cricket Board. From around 1973 onwards, he passionately championed Sri Lanka’s cause to be admitted as a full member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) and granted test status. Every year, he would propose at the ICC’s annual meeting, but England and Australia’s veto kept us out until 1981.

I always felt that our Cricket Board made a mistake by not inviting Pakistan to play our inaugural test match. We should have appreciated Mr Kardar and Pakistan’s efforts. In 1974 the Pakistan board invited our team for a tour involving three test matches and a few first-class games. Most of those who played in our first test match was part of that tour, and no doubt gained significant exposure playing against a highly talented Pakistani team.

Several Pakistani greats were part of the Pakistan and India team that played a match soon after the Central Bank bomb in Colombo to prove that it was safe to play cricket in Colombo. It was a magnificent gesture by both Pakistan and India. Our greatest cricket triumph was in Pakistan when we won the World Cup in 1996. I am sure the players and those who watched the match on TV will remember the passionate support our team received that night from the Pakistani crowd. It was like playing at home!

I also recall reading about how the Pakistani government air freighted several Multi Barrell artillery guns and ammunition to Sri Lanka when the A rmy camp in Jaffna was under severe threat from the LTTE. This was even more important than the shipload of rice that ZB sent. This was crucial as most other countries refused to sell arms to our country during the war.

Time and again, Pakistan has steadfastly supported our country’s cause at the UNHCR. No doubt this year, too, their diplomats will work tirelessly to assist our country.

We extend a warm welcome to Mr Imran Khan, the Prime Minister of Pakistan. He is a truly inspirational individual who was undoubtedly an excellent cricketer. Since retirement from cricket, he has decided to get involved in politics, and after several years of patiently building up his support base, he won the last parliamentary elections. I hope that just as much as he galvanized Sri Lankan cricketers, his political journey would act as a catalyst for people like Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene to get involved in politics. Cricket has been called a “gentleman’s game.” Whilst politics is far from it!.

Continue Reading


Covid-19 health rules disregarded at entertainment venues?



Believe me, seeing certain videos, on social media, depicting action, on the dance floor, at some of these entertainment venues, got me wondering whether this Coronavirus pandemic is REAL!

To those having a good time, at these particular venues, and, I guess, the management, as well, what the world is experiencing now doesn’t seem to be their concerned.

Obviously, such irresponsible behaviour could create more problems for those who are battling to halt the spread of Covid-19, and the new viriant of Covid, in our part of the world.

The videos, on display, on social media, show certain venues, packed to capacity – with hardly anyone wearing a mask, and social distancing…only a dream..

How can one think of social distancing while gyrating, on a dance floor, that is over crowded!

If this trend continues, it wouldn’t be a surprise if Coronavirus makes its presence felt…at such venues.

And, then, what happens to the entertainment scene, and those involved in this field, especially the musicians? No work, whatsoever!

Lots of countries have closed nightclubs, and venues, where people gather, in order to curtail the spread of this deadly virus that has already claimed the lives of thousands.

Thailand did it and the country is still having lots of restrictions, where entertainment is concerned, and that is probably the reason why Thailand has been able to control the spread of the Coronavirus.

With a population of over 69 million, they have had (so far), a little over 25,000 cases, and 83 deaths, while we, with a population of around 21 million, have over 80,000 cases, and more than 450 deaths.

I’m not saying we should do away with entertainment – totally – but we need to follow a format, connected with the ‘new normal,’ where masks and social distancing are mandatory requirements at these venues. And, dancing, I believe, should be banned, at least temporarily, as one can’t maintain the required social distance, while on the dance floor, especially after drinks.

Police spokesman DIG Ajith Rohana keeps emphasising, on TV, radio, and in the newspapers, the need to adhere to the health regulations, now in force, and that those who fail to do so would be penalised.

He has also stated that plainclothes officers would move around to apprehend such offenders.

Perhaps, he should instruct his officers to pay surprise visits to some of these entertainment venues.

He would certainly have more than a bus load of offenders to be whisked off for PCR/Rapid Antigen tests!

I need to quote what Dr. H.T. Wickremasinghe said in his article, published in The Island of Tuesday, February 16th, 2021:

“…let me conclude, while emphasising the need to continue our general public health measures, such as wearing masks, social distancing, and avoiding crowded gatherings, to reduce the risk of contact with an infected person.

“There is no science to beat common sense.”

But…do some of our folks have this thing called COMMON SENSE!

Continue Reading