Japanese Ambassador in Colombo Akira Sugiyama recently said that although Sri Lanka had been successful in combating Covid-19 pandemic, the continuing global crisis caused serious difficulty to the Sri Lankan economy, especially in export and tourism sectors.
Ambassador Sugiyama said so at the 41st Annual General Meeting of the Sri Lanka-Japan Business Council held recently at the JAIC Hilton where Merrick Gooneratne received the appointment as President of the Sri Lanka–Japan Business Council
The Ambassador said: First of all, on behalf of the Government of Japan, I would like to express our solidarity with the people and the Government of Sri Lanka in combatting COVID-19, while commending the strong leadership of the Government and the business leaders of Sri Lanka in tackling successfully the unprecedented challenges posed by COVID-19. Japan has provided USD9.6M grant aid to help Sri Lanka’s fight against COVID-19, including procurement of essential medical equipment like MRI system and CT scanners and improvement of hospital facilities.
The COVID-19 has had a serious negative impact on the global economy. Both Sri Lanka and Japan, like other countries in the world, are tackling the challenge of resuming and rebuilding economic activities while controlling the spread of the virus.
“Sri Lanka effectively implemented the curfew to contain the spread of the virus, while ensuring the people’s access to basic needs, including food and medicine, and without disrupting essential services in both public and private sectors. Now, the virus infection in Sri Lanka is successfully under control with zero community transmission. This is a commendable achievement. The global pandemic, however, caused serious difficulty to the Sri Lankan economy, especially in export sector and tourism. The Government of Sri Lanka announced several financial and monetary measures to mitigate this economic difficulty, and, most assuredly, they could lead to significant positive impacts on the Sri Lankan economy.
“Japan’s economy is in severe difficulty. The Government of Japan declared a State of Emergency on April 7th to request that the people and business community limit their activities to the minimum, although on a voluntary basis, to contain the COVID-19. Although the state of emergency was lifted on May 25 after pulling off the crisis, we still see new cases of infection every day. As disruption of social and economic activities in Japan and abroad takes a heavy toll on our economy. Japan’s economy contracted by 7.9 % in the second quarter of this year compared with the first quarter, which is equivalent to 28.1 % decline on an annualized basis. Japan is now struggling to strike an appropriate balance between reviving the economy and containing the virus spread. New Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga stressed in his first press conference, the most urgent agenda for the new Government is of course how we will get our economy back on track.
“Let me briefly discuss how consumer habits have changed in Japan after the COVID-19 pandemic, although I have to say that this is my layman’s view.
“As people start to work from home and spend more time at home because of the pandemic, their lifestyle and way of consumption have significantly changed. First, the COVID-19 has brought a considerable shift in the consumer’s style of shopping – from store shopping to on-line shopping. Because of stay-at-home requirement, consumers who were not familiar with online services such as restaurant delivery applications are now experimenting with these new devices. This has stimulated the uptake of digital commerce among more Japanese. Second, we are seeing an increasing demand for the goods and services which make working-from-home easy and efficient and staying-at-home more comfortable and enjoyable, including electronic appliances and online video services. In Japan, such consumption trend is called “nesting consumption”, which means that, like nesting birds, people stay and work at home and buy things online to keep their home tidy and comfortable.
“Next, products essential for the health and wellbeing of people such as masks and alcohol disinfectants are high in demand among consumers since people are now more conscious about hygiene and good health. In this connection, it should be noted that the COVID-19 has caused serious disruptions to global supply chains, resulting in shortages of various products, including such hygiene products. We keenly feel the need to diversify production bases of those products.
“Staying at home and health concerns are also changing payment methods of Japanese people. As some of you may know, Japanese people still have a preference for cash payment in daily lives, but prevalence of online shopping and hygiene concerns about touching money make people go for credit cards or prepaid cards more frequently.
“Since people stay home and do not go out, they do not pay for travel and hospitality services. As in Sri Lanka, in Japan tourism and hospitality business have lost business substantially because of the COVID-19. Since the tourism industry in Japan is increasingly dependent on inbound tourists, the entry ban of foreign tourists has been giving a serious negative impact on the tourism industry, especially local (outside Tokyo) businesses. To address this issue by promoting domestic travel, the Government of Japan has embarked on “Go to Travel Campaign” which gives domestic travelers a discount on travel costs, including hotel accommodations, if hotels or restaurants they use take strict health precautionary measures against the COVID-19.
“Of course, business people like you have much better ideas about these new trends. Having said that, I think that some of these changes will be here to stay even after the COVID-19 threat passes and could even open up new business opportunities.
With the lessons learnt from this pandemic, our two countries should come up with proper strategic moves to convert the global pandemic challenge into opportunities and I hope this would turn a new leaf in Japan-Sri Lanka business relations.”
- News Advertiesment
See Kapruka’s top selling online shopping categories such as Toys, Grocery, Flowers, Birthday Cakes, Fruits, Chocolates, Clothing and Electronics. Also see Kapruka’s unique online services such as Money Remittence,News, Courier/Delivery, Food Delivery and over 700 top brands. Also get products from Amazon & Ebay via Kapruka Gloabal Shop into Sri Lanka.
AG not bound by its recommendations, yet to receive report
PCoI on Easter Sunday attacks:
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Attorney General Dappula de Livera, PC is not bound by recommendations made by the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (P CoI) into the 2019 Easter Sunday carnage, or presidential directives in that regard, according to authoritative sources.
They said that the AG couldn’t under any circumstances initiate legal proceedings until he had received the full PCoI report.
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa received the PCoI report on Feb 1. The President’s Office delivered a set of PCoI reports to Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena on Feb 23, a day after the report was presented to the cabinet of ministers. The Island raised the matter with relevant authorities in the wake of a section of the media reporting the PCoI recommending punitive measures against former President Maithripala Sirisena, Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando, IGP Pujitha Jayasundera, Chief of State Intelligence Senior DIG Nilantha Jayawardena, Chief of National Intelligence retired DIG Sisira Mendis and All Ceylon Makkal Congress (ACMC) leader and Samagi Jana Balavegaya MP Rishad Bathiudeen et al over the Easter Sunday carnage.
Sources pointed out that due to the inordinate delay in sharing the PCoI report with the AG, the department hadn’t been able to take preliminary measures required to initiate the proceedings. Sources said that a team of officers would take at least six weeks or more to examine the report before tangible measures could be taken.
With the AG scheduled to retire on May 24, 2021, even if the AG Department received the P CoI it would be quite a tough task to initiate proceedings ahead of retirement, sources said. However, in terms of the 20th Amendment to the Constitution enacted in last October, both the AG and the IGP could receive extensions beyond 60 at the President’s discretion.
Dappula de Livera received an Acting appointment as the AG a week after the Easter Sunday carnage whereas his predecessor Jayantha Jayasuriya, PC, was elevated to Chief Justice.
Responding to another query, sources said that the Attorney General two weeks ago requested Secretary to the President for a copy of the P CoI. However, the AG was yet to receive one, sources said. In spite of the AG not receiving a P CoI copy, the AG had instructed the IGP to obtain a copy of the report when he requested the police to complete investigations into the Easter Sunday carnage. The AG issued specific instructions after having examined police files pertaining to the investigations.
The IGP, too, hadn’t received a copy so far though some sections of the report were in the public domain.
Agriculture Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage displayed at a live political programme on Derana a copy of the P CoI report he received at the cabinet meeting earlier in the day.
Sources said that the Attorney General’s Department couldn’t decide on a course of action in respect of the Easter carnage on the basis of a section of the report. In terms of the Commission of Inquiry Act (Section 24), the AG enjoyed significant powers/authority in respect of investigations; sources said adding that the Department urgently required both the P CoI report and police investigations report. The Attorney General’s Department has raised the delay in receiving a P CoI report amidst the Catholic Church attacking the government over the same issue.
Sources said that ministerial committee appointed to study the P CoI report couldn’t decide on how to proceed with the recommendations and the matter was entirely in the hands of the AG. Sources pointed out that the delay on the part of the government to release the report had received the attention of sections of the international media, including the New York Times. Public Security Minister retired Rear Admiral Sarath Weerasekera having met Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith at the Bishop’s House on Dec 8, 2020 said that the AG would get a copy of the P CoI report once the President received it. Minister Weerasekera said that the CID had handed over the relevant files after having completed investigations into eight blasts. Referring to the Parliamentary Select Committee (PSC) report on the Easter Sunday carnage, the former Navy Chief of Staff said that all such documents would have to be brought to one place and considered before initiating legal proceedings. Acknowledging that there could be delays, lawmaker Weerasekera said that on the instructions of the Attorney General a 12-member team of lawyers was working on the case. The minister vowed to expose the mastermind behind the Easter Sunday attacks. Investigations continued while some of those wanted were overseas, the minister said.
The minister acknowledged that the Attorney General couldn’t proceed without the P CoI report. Minister Weerasekera reiterated that once the President received the P CoI report, it would be sent to the Attorney General. The minister said that there were documents two to three feet high that needed scrutiny. The minister assured comprehensive investigation. The minister said that investigations pertaining to eight blasts had been completed and the reports handed over to the AG. However, the Attorney General had found shortcomings in those investigations.
JVP picks holes in PCoI report
By Saman Indrajith
The Presidential Commission of Inquiry on the Easter Sunday bombings had failed to identify the mastermind of , the JVP said yesterday.
Addressing the media at the party headquarters in Pelawatte, JVP Propaganda Secretary MP Vijitha Herath said that the PCoI report had levelled accusations against former President Maithripala Sirisena, former IGP and head of intelligence for their dereliction of duty, shirking of responsibilities and not taking action to prevent the attacks and negligence. There were reference to the causes of the terror attacks and actions to be taken to avoid such attacks and the influence of extremist organisations. “However, there is no mention of the mastermind of the attacks, the handlers of the attackers and those whose interests the carnage served. It is also not mentioned whether there has been any foreign or local organisation behind those attacks. As per the PCoI report the attack took place as a result of culmination of extremism.
“According to the PCoI the extremist activities were a result of the prevailing political situation then. The entire nation was waiting to see who was responsible and who masterminded those attacks. The PCoI has failed to identify the true culprits responsible for the terror attacks. The report says that the leader of the suicide cadres killed himself in the attacks and it was a puzzle. That means those who are actually responsible for the attacks are still at large. The report does not provide exact details of the sources of the attacks. The PCoI had sittings for one year and five months. It summoned various persons and got their statements but it has failed to shed any light on the terror attacks. Everybody knows that the top leaders of the government and heads of security and intelligence establishments failed in their duties. Ranil Wickremesinghe was the second in command and he too is bound by the responsibility but the PCoI report fails to identify him as one of the persons against whom legal action should be instituted. The PCoI has treated Wickremesinghe and former President Maithripala Sirisena differently. We are not telling that this report is a total failure but we cannot accept this as a complete report. The PCoI handed over its report to the President on Feb 1. After 23 days it was sent to Parliament. Now, a copy of the report is there in the parliamentary library for the perusal of MPs.”
Herath said that the PCoI did not have powers to take punitive action. “It only has powers to name those responsible and recommend action to be taken against those named.
TNA MP faults govt. for delay in answering questions, gets under Johnston’s skin
By Saman Indrajith
It did not matter whether the MPs were wearing pressed clothes or had travelled long distances when their questions were answered, Chief Government Whip Johnston Fernando told Parliament yesterday.
The Minister said so in response to a complaint by Batticaloa District TNA MP Shanikyan Rasamanikkam, who expressed his dismay for government taking time to answer a question raised by him.
MP Rasamanikkam has raised a question whether the Minister of Health is aware that the Dikkodai ospital, located in the Batticaloa district is not used for public purposes and the patients who visit the hospital for receiving services, face inconveniences, owing to that. On behalf of the Minister of Health, the Chief Government Whip and Minister asked for additional two weeks time.
MP Rasamanikkam: I come to parliament from Batticaloa, which is 422 km away. To attend Parliament we take great care including pressing our clothes. After taking so much trouble to come there braving the pandemic threat we do not get answers. There is a Health Minister and Acting Health Minister and neither of them is here. I saw Minister Dr Sudarshini Fernandopulle in the House this morning. She too has gone out. I travel more than 800 km. We could attend to many other problems. It is because the government does not give answers we are conducting protest marches, but when we do so we are hauled up before courts.
Chief Government Whip Minister Johnston Fernando: Every MP comes here wearing pressed clothes. But that has nothing to do with questions and answers here. I have been requested by the subject minister to ask for two weeks’ time. The MPs have a right to ask questions and in the same way the ministers have the right to ask for time. On the other hand, whether you cover 400 km to reach parliament does not matter. The majority of MPs travel 200 to 250 kilometers to come to Parliament. It is for that purpose they contest elections and get elected. Once elected the distance is not an issue you have to come to Parliament. The government has answered all your questions. This is the first time the Minister has asked for additional time. It is unfair for you to level charges. A more responsible conduct is expected of you as an upcoming political leader.